Friday, March 23, 2012

yogi_Parse Field Text To Remove ?()' And Reformat To All Lowercase With Dashes Between Words

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                Google Spreadsheet          Post  #479         www.energyefficientbuild.com

user sofa555 said: 
Function to parse(?) and reformat field text to all lowercase w/ dashes between words 
Hi everyone, 
I was hoping someone could help me find a solution for this seemingly simple problem. I am trying to take article titles from a column and format them as they appear in my website's URL. So for instance, "How do I do this?" actually becomes "how-do-i-do-this". So the question mark is removed, all the text is converted to lowercase, and a dash is inserted between each word. Apostrophes and parenthesis would also need to be stripped. So "What's the best way to say 'I love you'?" would become "what-s-the-best-way-to-say-i-​love-you". By combining that field with a category field and the full domain, I want to create a clickable URL that appears in a spreadsheet. Is there a function to accomplish this? 
Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.
-----------------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem
 

No comments:

Post a Comment