Saturday, May 19, 2012

yogi_Compute Products Ordered By Name For Data In Table

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.       Google Spreadsheet    Post  #547    May 18, 2012     www.energyefficientbuild.com.

user dcfitjar said:
Counting number of occurrences of various text entries 
Hi!
I am working on a research project where I have collected a lot of names in a spreadsheet, along with information like nationality, gender, religious affiliation etc. All of these are entered into different coloumns. Is there a way for me to get statistics out of this - like a counter that shows number of people from the USA or how many males or females there are in the group?
Thanks,
Daniel

-----
 I cannot provide my data as they contain confidential information, but I can try to explain what I need using your picture, here: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hnSu8CbECCbsTQIspYQo10EcJs5gjF8_0oyZbl_JQZJ9UwbQ79al6qqQBkTgzmECkFsdt4RIVTuQsSnTN1nKVPLY8RHJnHnqr6ts_QlZQrcsZQdBO5
If I used this, I would like something that collects data from the "product" coloumn, and presents it like this:
Pencil: 16
Stand: 8
Pen: 4
Desk: 1
Then, If I add a new row, with say Stand, it changes the number to 9 (because now there are nine occurrences). 
And here comes the twist: If I add an entirely new category, say "Ruler", I want that to show up at the bottom automatically, so the new list, with my to additions, would show:
Pencil: 16
Stand: 9
Pen: 4
Desk: 1
Ruler: 1
Is this possible?
Thanks,
Daniel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in the following I have simulated data from part of your table

No comments:

Post a Comment