Friday, December 21, 2012

yogi_Get Count Of Yes And No By Each Player From A Table Of Players And (Yes/No) Status


                                          Google Spreadsheet   Post  #935
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.    Dec 21, 2012
user LeslieMc said:(http://productforums.google.com/forum/?zx=vz0n90hy7lti#!category-topic/docs/spreadsheets/q7amw9_Z0ng)
CountIF? SumIF? SumProduct? I don't know! 
Hi All,

I am trying to do something that I am sure is fairly easy, but I just can't seem to make it work.

I would like to do a "count if only if" scenario... allow me to explain...

Example Sheet

A                        B
Bob                   Yes
Sue                   Yes
Bob                   No
Bob                   Yes
Dan                   No
Amy                  No

So what I want to know is, how many times "Bob" returned the result "Yes" (in this case 2 out of his 3). I know this is simple, and the formula I know to use in Excel doesn't work in google.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
following is a solution to a bit more generalized problem



2 comments:

  1. I have the same issue but don't understand the solution in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oggi Sparks:

    You had looked at my solution using the QUERY function ... this solution used a single formula for the total solution. However as your comment indicated, this solution is a bit hard to follow.

    So, subsequent to your comment, I have added another solution using COUNTIF function multiple times ... this I believe is pretty straightforward and should be easy to follow.

    Make It A Great One.
    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete