Thursday, January 31, 2013

yogi_Compute The Facility Name From Data Not Laid Out As A List (Database)



                                          Google Spreadsheet   Post  #1000
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.    Jan 31, 2013
post by user: SimonNY said:(https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/docs/spreadsheets/AB_eo_7iCnA)
Help - how to search up the column
Hi,

I have a Test spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmrjXVhLBq5NdGlVSzJPbURjV0prdlQtT3JNUHEyWkE#gid=0

I'm trying to display all the tasks that match up the specific day (F2) on the columns G to F. The problem I have is that I don't know how to pull in the house # information along with the task (in green).

The amount of tasks for each house can vary, and it isn't always called a house or mansion.

I was thinking that I need to search up the column until I find the next row where start date is blank, but I don't know how to do that. I'm also open to any possible suggestions.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
following is my convoluted solution to the problem using a helper column (that can be hidden)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Yogi,

    Figured it might be easier to just comment here.

    This is amazing and it looks like it works great. It also looks really complicated. I'm not a beginner with these spreadsheet functions, but I am a beginner with arrays. Would you be able to explain how this works? Details are very much appreciated.

    You've been great help, so I will be donating to your site when this is all done.

    Thanks,
    Simon



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon:

    The formula in sheet named yogi_Sheet2 is simpler than the formula in Sheet1a.

    If you are good with spreadsheet formulas, it will not be hard for you to decipher the formula -- so try to break it down and see if you can follow it ... and if you get stuck some place post in Google Docs Help forum and let us discuss it.

    Make It A Great One.
    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete