Monday, January 21, 2013

yogi_Compute From Budget Sheet Total Income Total Expenses And Row By Running Total Of Balance


                                          Google Spreadsheet  Post  #984
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.    Jan 20, 2013
user Dawn Pfahl said:(http://productforums.google.com/forum/?zx=r23nwjb5ku#!mydiscussions/docs/-mRG1yess3E)
How to use formula to add only positive or negative integers
I'm using Sheets to set up a monthly budget spreadsheet to track my spending and chart my student loan payments. I'm utterly confused by spreadsheet formulas and so far all I've gotten done is a whole year's worth of bank statements transferred in manually, one month in each tab with conditional formatting to turn the expense/income and running balance columns red or green. There's probably an easier formula for running tallies but I'm using SUM(Prev_balance+NewExpense) - it reads as =sum(D20+B21) in the sheet - because that's the only one I know how to use.

Now, I was lazy and put both expenses and income in one column. I want to be able to add up monthly income vs monthly expenses separately at the bottom of that column. Eg, Add Column B positive integers -> output to B35 ("Income"), Add Column B Negative integers -> output to B36 ("Expenses"). What formula would I use and how? I looked at the help document but it went right over my head. I don't even know what an 'array' is. I need spreadsheet 101! Maybe I should just buy a ledger and start keeping track in pen.

Thanks in advance!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem

No comments:

Post a Comment