Friday, April 12, 2013

yogi_Pull Unique Pairs From A Table Of Two Columns And Their Corresponding Counts -- Solution 2




                                          Google Spreadsheet   Post  #1116
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.    Apr 12, 2013
user rajvivek :(http://productforums.google.com/forum/?zx=kt0soilg3ufa#!category-topic/docs/spreadsheets/cX81KCe8t9I)
How to find unique pairs out of two columns
the solution presented in this blog post supplements the solution I provided in my earlier blog post:
yogi_Pull Unique Pairs From A Table Of Two Columns
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Hi!
I have a list consisting of two columns which may contain duplicate data, but I need to pull out all unique entries across the two columns.
For example if I have in Column A & B...
  • Stan 28
  • Bob 11
  • Stan 12
  • Bob 11
  • Stan 28
  • Bob 11
  • Dorris 14
I only want to see the unique combinations of the two colums in another two columns C & D and with their no. of times they occur in original dataset in column F as ...
  • Stan 28  2
  • Bob 11  3
  • Stan 12 1
  • Dorris 14 1
Thanks in advance!
---
Hi Yogi!
Thanks for your response.
I visited your blog. And could see that the solution is a little different than what i require. As i posted above, i want the two-column data to be pulled in two columns and not in one. And another one column for the no. of times those unique pairs occurred in the original table.
In order to give more details, i have copy-pasted a part of my original data in this published sheet. Hope this will help in understanding my issue better.

Thanks a ton!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you try adjusting the solution I provided earlier to suit your needs?
In any event, please have a look at the solution 

No comments:

Post a Comment