Monday, October 7, 2013

yogi_Count Number Of Teachers By Age Group From Table With Age in Row 1 And Teacher names In Row 2

                                          Google Spreadsheet   Post  #1384
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.   Oct 07, 2013
user: Oxbridge Mentors (http://productforums.google.com/forum/?zx=6ycrwucpw4f9#!category-topic/docs/spreadsheets/cgSX5cAu-I4)
Count the number of names within a cell
Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet where I am keeping different numbers of names within different cells.

Eg - 
Cell C1 contents: Jack Smith, Joan Jacob, Paul Thomson.

What I would like is another cell that says how many names C1 has (in this case, 3).

For context, I have to have the names in a cell because I am creating a spreadsheet for how many teachers I have who teach certain subjects and at certain ages. For the column headers are the age ranges (Primary, Secondary, GCSE, degree level etc) and the row names are the subject areas (Maths, English, Sciences). Hence a particular cell tells me the whole list of teacher who can teach, say, Maths at degree level. I need a count of the names who can teach X subject at Y age in order to know whether I need to hire more teachers.

Hope someone can help! Hope I've explained well enough.

In the attached document mock up, it is the red row that I would want to have cells saying how many teachers I have for each subject+age.

Best,

James

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment