Wednesday, August 13, 2014

yogi_Subtract Values In Column B Form Values In Columns C And E Only if There Are Entries In Column C And E

                        Google Spreadsheet   Post  #1728
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.   Aug-14-2014
post by Jennifer Kaupke:
(https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ba_notification#!mydiscussions/docs/-jcCcnyAmwI)


How can I set my spreadsheet to subtract one cell from another cell only when there are values in both cells? For example, when I enter data into the first cell and not the second I end up with a negative number and when I don't enter a value in either cell, the cell with the formula displays a "0". Is there a way to write formula so it will only subtract once I enter a value into the second cell.  I am including a screen shot of part of my spreadsheet - as you can see I am working on a spreadsheet for teachers that will calculate data for their classroom. The 0's and negative numbers are distracting to the eye and are unnecessary. 

This is probably a simple question but I am new to writing formulas. Thanks for your help! :)
Attachments (1)


Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 6.34.23 PM.png
14 KB   View   Download
---



Ok, here is the link. Sorry I didn't send it sooner, I was having trouble with the Share feature last night. 


If you look at the section for DIBELS --

Column D should be the result of column C minus column B but I would like it show only once a score is entered into column C

Column F should be the result of column E minus column B but I would like it show only once a score is entered into column E

I don't want columns D and F to show negative numbers at the beginning of the school year when students haven't taken the winter or spring tests. 

Examples:

Kid 1 & 2 I tried the formula sent earlier and am getting FALSE as an answer. 

Kid 3-9 -- This is what the data looks like at the beginning of the year, but I don't want values in column D and F because there isn't a value in column C or E yet. 

Kid 10-15 -- This is what the results would look like in December but I wouldn't want to see anything in column F




No comments:

Post a Comment